Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Coolest Story I Have Read All Week

 
 
I really liked Black Panther and one of the great things about it is that most, if not all, of the characters, were strong characters. T’Challa and Erik Killmonger may have been the two main characters, but Shuri, Okoye, Nakia, M’Baku, Agent Ross, Zuri, and pretty much everyone else was really strong and well-written characters. A lot of the side characters have gotten a lot of love with some fans even calling Shuri their favorite Disney princess. In fact, director Ryan Coogler was asked at a panel at the Cannes Film Festival if the women were just as important as the men in the film.
“I think you could argue they are more important. There’s a whole section of the film where T’Challa is out of the movie and you’re just following the women, that’s one of my favorite parts of the movie when I watched it, and I didn’t expect that.

That part of the movie you feel like you’re watching something fresh and new, that part of it was exciting. We have these actresses who could easily carry their own movie. Some of them have before. We were so fortunate. I would watch a movie with them!”    
 
After giving the women such praises, he was asked the follow-up question of if he would make a spin-off that focuses on the women from the movie.
“Oh man, that would be amazing if the opportunity came up. They did it in the comic-book version.”   
I would love to see this movie simply because I thought these characters were awesome. I’d love to see a movie of Nakia and Okoye kicking butt with maybe some spy elements in it. Make Shuri their Q and you’ve got an almost James Bond film. Would you like to watch a movie that focuses on these great side characters?



 

 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'd certainly watch a movie of just the women!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I would watch it right beside you. I can see it happening. The atmosphere is right for it.