Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Word Of The Day Is 'Invisible'








 
This was one of my favorite books as a kid and one of the first novels I remember reading all the way through to the end. I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie on CBC TV one summer, so I burned through it on a rainy weekend when I was ten or so. I loved it and the movie and have always wanted a really great Invisible Man action figure. They are harder to find than you would think since he is one of the Universal Monsters although not on the same level with your Draculas and your Frankensteins. I so remember reading the hell out of these comic books.
 
 
The cover of this one is by Steranko!
 
 
When we lived in Europe we only had German TV. On the weekends, however, we could get a station from France and they would show English language shows like The Avengers and The Invisible Man (with David McCallum) along side cartoons like Space Ghost and Looney Tunes. I think that is really where I fell in love with the idea that a person could disappear. At the same time I was reading lots of Marvel Comics so I had my fill of the Invisible Girl, Sue Richards, from the Fantastic Four.
 





 
Susan is the glue that holds the Fantastic Four together. She’s strong-willed, assertive, level-headed, and clever. She also tends to be more diplomatic than the rest of team - preferring to look for peaceful solutions to their conflicts before jumping into a fight. This shouldn’t be mistaken for weakness however; Susan is tough as nails, and when her friends are in danger she won’t hesitate to unleash the full ferocity of her force-field powers. Combined with her ability to turn things invisible, these talents quite possibly make her the most formidable member of the FF.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Invisible_Woman_(2006_Animated)#ixzz3B34OoofC

No comments: