Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sometimes Even The Greats Have An Off Day - Alex Ross

I don't know what he was thinking when he created this piece. He tried to apply his photorealistic painting style to the 60s colored Batman TV program and the result is something that needs to go into the furnace. Check some of Ross' regular work and view the TRUE genius of his art. If someone gave me a signed original of this I would never have it framed and hung on my wall.

 
Do you see the difference or is it just me?
 






 

7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I'd say its less of the TV Show and more like the '50s art style of Dick Sprang rendered in that photorealistic style. Which wouldn't be so bad except that Sprang's art is highly stylized and doesn't translate to Ross' word at all.

And those veins on Batman... What were you thinking?!!!

Ross does period pieces very well as seen in these paintings of Silver and Bronze Age heroes, but changing the figures physique like this just goes down like horseradish flavored Jell-O.

j-swin said...

it looks like he was rushed, what with all the dynamite comics covers and whatnot.

Hobgoblin238 said...

Hey Cal!

I found the perfect place for you!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/brazilian-town-run-by-women-is-looking-for-a-few-good--single--men-210647685.html

Kal said...

I am not moving to Brazil. The humidity would kill me.

Kal said...

You are right at the Dick Sprang influence Erik but Sprang never drew those veiny muscles. I can't believe I missed that reference. Must be getting senile.

Jordan said...

My God, that's awful. Are you sure it's Ross? (I mean, of course you're sure, but it's just such an anachronism.)

david_b said...

Love the first Ross one.., he does better work with DC than Marvel characters.