Saturday, February 22, 2014

Today Was Supposed To Be Ragnarok?

I missed the whole thing because I didn't put Twilight Of The Gods in my plan book. I wouldn't mind a trip to Valhalla. There is fine mead and shieldmaidens. You can't have a party without fine mead and shieldmaidens.

 
Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha on Vikings
 
 



 
THE end of the world is nigh, according to Viking experts, who believe the final mystical battle on Earth might begin on 22 February 2014. It follows a string of similar disaster predictions, including the Mayan Apocalypse, in which the dark planet Nibiru failed to knock Earth out of the sky on 21 December 2012. So what is Ragnarok and should we be concerned?
What does Ragnarok mean?
It is an Old Norse word made up of "ragna", which means conjure, and "rok", which can mean origin, cause or fate. As a whole, it is usually interpreted as the "final destiny of the gods".
What happens in Ragnarok?
Norse mythology predicts the Earth will split open and release the inhabitants of the underworld, culminating in an epic battle. First comes three consecutive winters, with no summers inbetween, followed by a general decline in morality. Wolves will devour the sun and moon, plunging the earth into darkness, stars will vanish from the sky and a cockerel will "raise the dead". Earthquakes will release the terrible wolf Fenrir, snakes will rise from the sea and the inhabitants of hell will ride in on a ship for a titanic battle among the gods, men and other creatures. Odin, the father of the gods, will be killed by Fenrir, Earth will fall into the sea, and life as we know it will cease to exist.

On the plus side, a new and idyllic world will then arise, where wickedness and misery no longer exist.
 
Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/57426/ragnarok-will-world-end-viking-apocalypse-tomorrow#ixzz2u5u1kpAT
 

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I know, I just found that out too! After the Mayans and Harold Camping, no one cares about end of the world countdowns anymore.

Kal said...

But a Viking one would have been so cool to wait for. Those other ones were lame compared to all the carnage a good Ragnarok can produce.

Kal said...

And did I mention that I am a fan of the Shieldmaiden concept.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh damn, I missed it too. Of course, it's Loki and his spawn who instigate Ragnarok. Who else would it be? And BTW, do you know what the name is of the new and idyllic world after Ragnarok? Gimli. I shit you not. Gimli, Manitoba -- LOL!

Kal said...

I have been to Gimli. I learn to fly a Glider at Gimli. I have lived through the mayfly infestations. I know of Gimli.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh gawd yeah, those mayflies. YUCK!