Thursday, August 9, 2012

What I Really Want To Know Is Where Are My McDonald's Onion Rings??

Did you know McDonald’s has curly fries? Well they do — sort of. The twisty delights come attached with two rather inconvenient condition. They’re only available in the Philippines. They’re only available for three weeks.


I have often gone to Burger King or Dairy Queen for onion rings before going to McDonald's for my Big Mac. Wendy's should also have onion rings. If they did I would ONLY eat at Wendy's. KFC used to have these awesome onion nuggets but those aren't offered anymore. Where is the Onion Lobby when I need them to do something for ME??


The short answer is, they don't have to. Additional menu items are a hassle. The french fry fryers are separate from the meat fryers. (They did cook the fried pies in the french fry fryers, back when they had the fried pies.) That's the only thing they're used for. Adding onion rings would add more waste. With just one product, it cycles faster; with two, it's more likely that something would sit there long enough to be aged out and tossed.

If customers demanded onion rings, they would add them, but customers are very satisfied with McDonald's fries as a side order. McD's was always famous for its fries (in part because of the beef tallow, which got them in trouble as not all customers realized they weren't vegetarian). McDonald's french fries were widely considered the best for a very long time, and there just wasn't a need for any other product.

For a long time, fried foods weren't really McDonald's core competency. They've had the fries forever, but for a long time it was just the burgers and the fries. The Filet-O-Fish wasn't introduced until 1963, and that was the first fried item McD's offered. The fried chicken patty wasn't introduced until 1980.

So now you can think of McD's as a place for fried foods, but their signature has been the burgers on the grill, not things from the fryer. They're selling increasing numbers of fried items (and making life more of a hassle for their cooks), continually looking to keep ahead. But at this point, onion rings is Burger King's thing, and if you want onion rings, you go there.


 

7 comments:

ShezCrafti said...

LOL I do the same thing, dude. I've been known to hit up multiple fast food joints in my quest for the perfect meal when I'm having a craving that only a multi-outlet approach will satisfy. One time I went to Burger King for onion rings (right there with you on that one), Dairy Queen for a chili dog and Blizzard, AND Wendy's for chicken nuggets with their money sweet & sour sauce. What did such an epic combo taste like? Fucking delicious.

(But also shame.)

Kal said...

But some days you just get sick of not having exactly what you want to eat. There is no shame in that. Our town just got a KFC/Taco Bell so I know when I get that craving for KFC (that we all get every 21 days or so because of the addictive chemicals the Colonel put in his chicken). I can see myself going right next store for a Chalupa and a spicey burrito to go with my popcorn chicken.

We need help, you know that.

M. D. Jackson said...

Wendy's does have onion rings. My wife orders them all the time.

Kal said...

Not OUR Wendy's or I would have been all over that and totally destroyed my weight loss efforts. Are you sure you aren't talking about A&W?

ShezCrafti said...

@Kal - Oh how I hate the Colonel with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face!

@M.D Jackson - Whaaat?! I've never seen a Wendy's that had onion rings!

Jordan said...

Dude, you don't need (or want) any of that. Break the chains!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Life is unjust.