Friday, August 17, 2012

The Summers Of My Youth Were Spent At Air Cadet Camp

Today over 800 cadets and instructors march in the last Wing Parade of the summer. - Penhold Alberta Canada. Thanks for Al Nagy for sending these pictures to me. There was a time when you couldn't drag me away from cadet camp. I loved it so much as a cadet that I worked as an instructor there when I was in College.

When I was finally put in charge of my own 'flight' of basic training students I was given the worst non-commissioned teenagers ever and we still pulled off a huge victory and won best barracks, best sports flight and overall best flight at the end of the summer. No one had ever pulled off such a feat of training and organization. I turned that group of 50 or so window lickers into a tight military unit.

If they would have given us ammunition I could have taken over the province in 24 hours.





4 comments:

Cora said...

Cool! Sounds like you really enjoyed that. :-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was fun to be part of the gang when I was 13 and it was still fun 6 years later when I was the one in charge. It was a trip for sure but such a great way to spend the summer. After the first two weeks I BEGGED to stay for an extra two weeks to take the photography course...at 13!

Belle said...

They have made movies out of stories like that! Good for you, Kal. Well, you are the kind of person teens would like and respect so I'm not surprised.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey Kal, did you ever want to join the military like your Dad?