Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Pretty Ones Are Always The Most Trouble

This was the only way that today could have possibly begun. I just got a visit from the city to inform me that my beautiful bee-friendly flowers are an invasive weed that needs to be eliminated.

They even have a pamphlet to prove their accusations

Himalayan Balsam

Himalayan balsam is a bamboo-like annual with characteristic flowers resembling the shape of an English “Policeman’s helmet” (one of its common names). It is native to the Western Himalaya, most likely brought to Canada in the early 1900’s as an ornamental. This plant is extremely invasive to moist, natural areas and is swiftly spreading through the watercourses of the Lower Mainland. Himalayan Balsam can grow to three meters, which combined with its high reproductive output and rapid growth enables this weed to dominate local vegetation. Additionally, after dying back in the fall, it exposes bare riverbanks resulting in increased erosion during high winter flows. Himalayan balsam has a poor root structure so it is relatively easy to pull by hand. Controlling this plant, like many invasives, requires stringent and long term efforts to be effective. Himalayan balsam is easily identifiable with its whorled leaves (usually in threes) and recognizable stalk as shown below.


 
 
So I guess I have to remove all this junk that really appealed to the bees and butterflies and find something lest toxic to the gentle ecosystem that I live in. Why not let me plant some marijuana there. I am sure that it would grow nicely in our rich, fertile soul. Naw, the neighbors would dig those up before I even got close to a first harvest. Stupid punk neighbors. I hate the fact that I am actually going to have to give this garden some THOUGHT at the end of this year and the beginning of next. I do know one thing however, it will have more TULIPS.
 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahaha! I recognized it right away from your photo. My Rare One likes Himalayan Balsam too (or Himalayan Impatiens as we learned to call it -- like any criminal, it has many aliases). We have some in our backyard but it's not visible to bylaw officers because we have a big cedar fence. But I did inform her it was a "noxious weed" under the provincial statute and she could be ordered to remove it or fined if she didn't. But My Rare One is a scofflaw rebel and is keeping it.

Kal said...

Glad there are some rebels around. I bowed to the pressure and pulled them for my mother. Of course I got rewarded with pizza.