Friday, August 24, 2012

The Books Of Doom - The Source Of His Gloom


 
 
 
From the black steppes of Eastern Europe, to the college campuses of New York City, and finally to the throne of Latveria – this is the life of Von Doom! From his earliest disasters to his scientific triumphs to the tragedy of the fractured man he would become, this is the story you know, and the one you don’t. The story of the missing years and the journey that shaped the man who would be king. An epic Russian tragedy in comic form, this is unlike any Doom story you’ve ever seen. Five-time Eisner-nominated Best Writer Ed Brubaker turns his shadowy vision to Marvel’s greatest villain, Victor Von Doom. With the phenomenal art of Pablo Raimondi, you will witness Doom’s life from his earliest moments to the day he took the throne of Latveria. A dark and revealing examination of how an innocent boy grows up to be a tyrant – a new twist on an old legend – Books of Doom is a sweeping epic of tragedy, madness and destiny!




 
 
It's so advantageous for a creator to have a rich history of stories to pour into when writing a definitive history or Doctor Doom. Like a historian, one can bring perspective to the back story that we know so well.

Brubaker has done fantastic work on the Captain American title - most notably the resurrection of Bucky as the Winter Soldier. There were once two absolute deaths in comic books. One was Peter Parker's Uncle Ben and the other was Bucky, the sidekick to Captain America.

Those two characters had such iconic, character building deaths that it was believed that their resurrection would be impossible - lest the entire Marvel Universe crumble out of the weight of those changes. Brubaker brought back Bucky. I won't bore you with the details but the story of the Winter Soldier is brilliant in it's logic.

So when I saw that Brubaker was the writer of this Doctor Doom mini-series I tore into it like a monkey after a cupcake. It was a terrific read and I was so glad that I waiting to own the collected work before starting into the story.

If you are a fan of Doctor Doom then this is must-reading for a true understanding of the character.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeez
This Site Yousz To Be Fun
Whatz With All The Never Ending
DOOM

Kal said...

Just go away then. You seem to hate most everything I do anyways. I am allowed to post what I want when I want. Until you are the boss of me then you can direct my moment. I might just post some photos of pretty teenage girls because I like it. 500 people can't be wrong.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I read this one. At the time I didn't know it would be a biographical look at the character, providing a unique perspective.

Unknown said...

Just Go Away
OK
Yikes