Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stress Tests And Cherry Pies

 

I got up this morning thinking of all the reasons I wanted to bail on the weigh-in and the stress test but found my self sitting in the waiting room after all. I didn't give myself the time to freak out.

Then on my way to cardiology I had to pass the girl selling baking goods. Worse for me they were mini-cherry and apple pies. I told her that if I survived the stress test I would be back so she shouldn't go anywhere. The look she gave me confirmed just how dire the situation was for me.


I felt bad for the poor pretty nursing student who had to shave my chest (with multiple blades) so that the sensors fit in the right spots to take optimum readings. She seemed okay with it and TRUST ME I was reading her body language for any sign of her discomfort. She was the consummate professional.

The girl working the blood pressure and treadmill was also very attractive. These hospitals dress these girls in pajamas - cute, colorful and comfortable pajamas. It doesn't help the situation that I just want to relax with her on a couch. I felt very relaxed because she had funny banter. I really didn't feel like some fat schlub.

For nine minutes I worked that treadmill to hit 85% of my max heart rate. Like a dog I worked but I didn't want to fail. I wish I could have fully understood what my foreign doctor had told me but I doubt his one minute interaction was all that medically insightful.

 
 
Just pass the results on to my regular Doc and let me get back to the pies - which I did. I am eating the cherry pie right now and am only leaving it ice cream free to celebrate the fact that I lost 10 pounds last month. Yes, that is THIS MANY.


Is 110/70 a good blood pressure? They keep taking it multiple times like I somehow defy medical expectations. But any good news these days makes the day to day living so much easier.

 

9 comments:

csmith2884 said...

Ten pounds way to go....and I was told 140-90 was the start to worry point. I think all doctors make up their own rule. I keep looking for you to friend me on myfitnesspal but alas, no joy.

DrGoat said...

110/70 is very good.

Kal said...

I need to go back there CS. I liked keeping track of all the crap I eat.

That's Dr G. I will trust what you say about my blood pressure. After all, you is a professional.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Enjoy the pie, Cal. You earned it! I guess I'm kinda enabling you though, aren't I?

Daisy said...

Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Belle said...

I looked it up. Your blood pressure is normal. Congrats on that and the weight loss.

Hobgoblin238 said...

AWESOME Kal! I am a gymrat myself.

D.I. Felipe González said...

I´m glad for you. 10 pounds is epic.

M. D. Jackson said...

Congratulations, my friend! Enjoy the pie.