Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympics



I have just about had it with judging at the Olympics. I watched the Gymnastics competition yesterday and two girls tied for 3rd on the balance beam. Why not give them BOTH the medal since they had identical scores. Apparently gymnastics doesn't work like that.

The girl from Romania was set to get the bronze until the US Coach pulled $500 dollars out of his pocket and launched an immediate protest. Guess what? The judges reversed their decision and suddenly the American gymnast is a medallist.

FUCK THAT!

How can I believe that the sport has any credibility after something like that? Now before all of you get crazy, I feel the same way about Figure Skating. Any sport that is judged by technique is always open to mistakes and corruption.

Only timed events should be contested.

And get rid of the dancing horses.

4 comments:

DrGoat said...

This year's Olympic games are rife with BS. Also, I do not consider beach volleyball to be an Olympic sport. I guess it gets big ratings on TV, watching cute girls in bikinis.

Kal said...

But those girls are not that attractive. To much muscles and veins for my taste. When they start critisizing the bodies of Olympic athletes I am done with the whole sport. Too much attention on all the wrong things this Olympics with America leading the way. Maybe social networking isn't such a good addition.

Mike D. said...

Cal, just for the record a US girl got hosed in the all around competition out of a bronze when she finished tied with what I believe was a Russian or Romania (I dont exactly remember who) gymnast for 3rd. Both had the exact same score but there is a tie breaker, as there are in any sport. Those tie breakers are pre-determined and understood by everyone involved...

But to make a comment like you just did saying that the US only benefited from the rules as they exist when just a few days back they were victimized the exact same way and lost the bronze medal in a similar fashion is just silly.

Kal said...

I never saw the other incident. I just thought it looked bad to see the cash come out and the bronze medalist changed.