Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Tears Come From All The Cat Hair In The Room



Ten-year-old Elijah Porter was ecstatic when Canada's 4x100m relay team won bronze in London.

Then the team was disqualified for running outside the lane, and Elijah, devastated, wanted to help ease the pain for runners Justyn Warner, Gavin Smellie, Jared Connaughton, and Oluseyi Smith.

So he sent them a letter:


"Dear Justyn, Gavin, Jarred [sic], and Oluseyi, I'm Elijah Porter. I'm ten and I live in Newfoundland, Canada. When I heard what happened on Aug. 11, I knew it was wrong. The rules were not right. But, at last, I realized how good you were. We're Canadians. We persevere. We create better lives for each other. The cold didn't stop us from living in the north. We didn't lose the War of 1812. We adapt and survive. We have earned our freedom. Someday, if I become a biologist, if I get rich, and, if I remember, I will donate money to the summer and winter Canadian Olympians. I hope you like the medal! Elijah Porter"




4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Awwww! And it's a Timbit medal too! *sniff* Doesn't get more Canadian than that.

And clearly, the Canadian government's constant advertising about the War of 1812 is paying off. How quintessentially Canadian of the little tyke to say "We didn't lose the War of 1812" instead of "We won the War of 1812" -- LOL!

Budd said...

That, there, is better than the gold in my book.

Kal said...

Plus the medal get's your free coffee..or it SHOULD.

D.I. Felipe González said...

That letter is a much better than gold trophy. Pride.