Friday, August 24, 2012

More Saturday Morning Cartoon Suggestions



A cool, new take on the classic Dark Knight franchise, Beware the Batman incorporates Batman’s core characters with a rogues gallery of new villains not previously seen in animated form. Along with backup from ex-secret agent Alfred and lethal swordstress Katana, the Dark Knight faces the twisted machinations of Gotham City’s criminal underworld led by the likes of Anarky, Professor Pyg, Mister Toad and Magpie. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, this action-packed detective thriller deftly redefines what we have come to know as a “Batman show.” Featuring cutting-edge CGI visuals to match the intricate twists and turns of the narrative, Batman steps out of the shadows and into the spotlight for an entirely new generation of fans. With WBA’s Sam Register executive producing, and Batman Beyond’s Glen Murakami and Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated’s Mitch Watson producing, Beware the Batman, based on characters from DC Comics, is coming soon to Cartoon Network!

 
This new Batman cartoon seems more of a throwback to the great animated series from the late 90s. I always thought it was totally cool to be able to watch a great cartoon in Prime Time, like it was a real dramatic series - and it was. I kinda got obsessed with the cartoon challenge from the League of Extraordinary Bloggers and had to produced this second and final list of my favoites.



X-Men Evolution



The Secret Saturdays



Samurai Jack



Tutenstein



Mucha Lucha



Atomic Betty



Xiolin Showdown



Teen Titans



And finally one series that is not on the fall schedule that needs to be.

The Batgirl



4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I wasn't sure what to think of "Beware the Batman" at first glance, but the producers come from quality shows, and the line up of heroes and villains makes it look like they're really aiming to try new things, so I'm fairly optimistic.

If we made a lineup that lasted all Saturday, it still wouldn't be enough to hold all these great cartoons.
I only saw a few episodes of "Secret Saturdays". Going back might scratch my Classic Johnny Quest itch. I was a huge fan of the Teen Titans cartoon when it was originally on, like you wouldn't believe. I bought up all the tie-in comics and got every album by Puffy AmiYumi that I could find. At the time "Justice League" was very stiff in plot and characters (before they switched to "Unlimited"). The Titans shook up the joint with character designs that had crazy shapes and outrageous colors. The writing wasn't always the best, but it was a good experiment in blending kid friendly tones with darker ideas that lead to more polished shows like The Brave and the Bold.

Man, cartoons are an awesomely touchy subject. Maybe I should get on track with this League to I can rant on my own blog-space about my own personal picks.

Kal said...

I had so much fun putting together these lists. I realize I know a great deal about Saturday or other cartoons. I try tried to pare down my list but I just can't. Already I am thinking of shows like REBOOT and TRANSFORMERS PRIMES which were also terrific. I would be interested in seeing your choices.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

That makes two of us Kal. Haha. I would just need to figure out a way to tie the themed posts into my art somehow. Hmm.

As for cartoons, knowing myself I'd probably just put a bunch of similar theme shows together without all that much varity. Action Cartoons with either dark tones, serialized storylines or both.

* Classic Hanna Barbera Heroes (Johnny Quest!)
* Batman/ DCAU
* Gargoyles
* X-Men (1990s)
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2000s)
* Avatar: The Last Airbender
* Super Sentai Subtitled (Live Action Noon Slot)

And thats not including "Spectacular Spider-Man" and "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc" which haven't have enough episodes to make the proper rounds.

Then theres other stuff I'd want to throw on the pile either for nostalgia, or just for fun.

* Carmen Sandiego: The Animated Series (Gotta meet those educational requirements somehow!)

* Megas XLR (Imagine we're in a universe were it lasted more than one season)

Hobgoblin238 said...

I cannot wait to see the Beware the Batman on DVD.