Wednesday, August 22, 2012

If You Can Name Most Of These Characters Then You Are My People

 
 
This is bloody hilarious. Davinder Brar, Chris Bird (of the website Mighty God King), and Andrew Wheeler have taken Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's fictional superteam conceit and applied it to the 1990s.
 
Who would be a member of the Nineties League? Chow Yun-Fat from John Woo's Hard Boiled, the evil girl from The Craft, and Bayside's own time-manipulating heartthrob. As they explain of this incarnation of the League:

Abuse of Playback, the technologically-derived drug made from distilled human memories, is sweeping the world — and Special Agent Fox Mulder learned too late that Playback was put forth on this planet by the Purity, seeking to condition humanity to their rule so as to better combat the Deadite incursion threatening the aliens' homeworld. Now Mulder is missing, and it falls to his partner, Dana Scully, to re-activate secret protocol LXG-71, the "League of Extraordinary Gentlepersons" (protocol renamed 1993 for "sensitivity reasons").

Scully swiftly collects Hong Kong Detective-Inspector "Tequila" Yuen, hyperviolent Wiccan practitioner Nancy Downs, the biological experiment/walking weapon known only as "Edward," and a young high-functioning sociopath named Zack Morris who has the strange ability to stop the flow of time itself.

Perhaps it is this last who attracts the attention of an enigmatic man who answers only to "Rufus," and who asks Scully to "set history right" and see that two young musicians — that, so far as she can tell, never existed — be born anew, so that peace may flourish on Earth. But the Purity have never shown any signs of temporal travel capability… so who, then, altered history?

This is as good if not superior to any comic book series or premise I have read all year. How terrific could this be even as just a comic. Don't get me started on the live action CGI version that actually takes footage from the era and seamlessly combines it with the living actors of today. I know I know, the concept is too ridiculous to even contemplate.

It's just....when I read the words Zac Morris and Sociopath in the same sentence I understood why this idea would be a winner. People forget that on a REAL superhero team you sometimes have to make allowances for dangerous or anti-social character traits if you want to get the job DONE!

Don't get me started on Rufus (George Carlin) - an inspired choice if there ever was one.

"Be excellent to each other."

I found this over at IO9 which posts some of the trippiest stuff around.

7 comments:

ShezCrafti said...

This fucking rules. I love that it includes Pizzazz and Nancy from The Craft. So random.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I don't know that I can name the characters, but I can probably name most of the movies that they're from.

Tron, Max Headroom, Scott Howard, Jim Rockford, Carmen Sandiego, Connor MacLeod, Egon, (Green Hair has me stumped), Edward Scissorhands, (One of the girls from "The Craft"), (Generic Guy with a Gun) Dana Scully, Zack Morris and Rufus.

Also, any organization with the word "Extraordinary" in their name does NOT need to admit Zack Morris.

I much preferred the 1988 League: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/04/01/top-shelf-announces-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-1988/

Kal said...

Ass the great 88 hoax. It's ironic that the best idea for a comic book in ten years was a April Fool's Day joke. I feel the same way about legitimate comics these days. That is the April Fool's Day joke that never ends.

Anonymous said...

That is cool. I know most of them. Tron. Max Headroom. Teen Wolf. Egon. KITT. Scully. Edward Scissorhands. And Rufus.

Dan

D.I. Felipe González said...

I only recognized about half of those. I must be missing something.

Mike D. said...

Is that Jem?

Anonymous said...

I think it's the lead singer of the Misfits.

Dan