Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Wanted This Toy So Much



If there was ever a toy that I obsessed over getting it was this one. I truly hate and fear ventriloquist dummies but this one didn't scare the hell out of me. The reason for that was all the different pieces you got in the box to truly give Hugo his thousand different faces look.

When we moved back to Canada from Europe I became a freak for television, especially the monster movies that they showed in the early morning hours. I loved those old Universal movies, especially the Wolfman. I remember learning how Lon Chaney would design his own monster make-up and I soon became obsessed with trying to do the same thing.

We used to take Elmer's white school glue to make false skin on our hands. One day I figured I could use the same process to make myself facial hair. After laying out a bead of glue on a piece of food wrap and covering it with hair I got from the cat brush, I let everything dry. Soon I was the only kid in sixth grade with a mustache. 


10 comments:

Brothermidnight said...

this is one that you shouldn't have to hard of a time getting ,But getting one with the glue intact is almost imposable.

M. D. Jackson said...

I wanted this so bad as a kid as well. I saw it on television but I could never find it in any of our local toy stores.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hair from the CAT BRUSH? No wonder you have an affinity for felines, LOL!

Drake said...

This thing was creepy and i didn't want it. :)

Mike D. said...

My friend had one. So I saw it held it and even got to apply the teeth and eye patch....but it was not as fun to me as my Mego Star Treks...then again...there was nothing to compare the Mego's to at the time. But the ad and the post brought back cool,fond memories

Kal said...

You actually touched one Mikey Boy? I am jealous. I had lot of megos at the time too so I could have made room for both.

DrGoat said...

Pee Wee Herman used a Hugo in his act for the first HBO special, his best one. Very funny. This a link to part of the show, but not all of it. He used Hugo to hypnotize a pretty young lady.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmGfZlvXTQ

DrGoat said...

PS. Netflix has that Pee Wee show, made in 1981, HBO special filmed at his first show on Sunset Strip. Even if you don't like P Wee, Phil Hartman is great as Capt. Carl, and the show is for adults.

Kal said...

I will check that out. I enjoyed Pee Wee's stuff back in the day.

Mike D. said...

Phil Hartman is GOD!