Saturday, August 25, 2012

I Love A Good Rob Liefeld Bashing

 
Yesterday on twitter, Rob Liefeld announced that he is leaving DC Comics. With Issue #0 of Deathstroke, Grifter, and Hawkman being his final issues on those respective titles. His tweets detailed that he wasn’t happy with the last minute changes, editorial interference, and it echoed a lot of statements DC writers have had within the New 52.

I have read a lot of comic books in my life. In fact I am a lifetime fan and consider myself an expert on the genre. Of all the artists who have ever put pen to paper, there is no one that I despise more than Liefeld. When I think of all the artists out there begging for a shot I get infuriated. Liefeld was given SO MANY CHANCES to improve on the defects in his art and after 25 years he has only gone backwards. How he keeps getting work from the DC or Marvel is beyond my understanding.


In the past couple of days I have been enjoying a Twitter war between Liefeld and the editors of DC. Finally, someone creative and talented took on this bratty punk and let him have it in the way you only can on Twitter.

That has provoked response from others who have suffered from Liefeld's lack of talent all these years. This one is my favorite and pretty much sums up what I feel about the crap that Liefeld puts out there.

 
Isn't this 'Fighting American' just a bastardized version of Caption America.
 
 
Fuck you Rob Liefeld. Fuck you and your childish whining about editors who, you know, EDIT YOUR SHIT. Fuck you and your homophobic rants about gay superheroes like Shatterstar and Richter (who have been in a gay relationship for HOW long now? Are you JUST now hearing about this?) with rants that begin with, “I’m not homophobic, but superheroes can’t be gay!”

Protip: if you ever have to start a rant/comment/conversation with, “I’m not homophobic, but…” whatever you are about to spew from your talking-hole is definitely going to be homophobic.


AND MOST OF ALL? FUCK YOUR ANATOMY FAIL. HOW IN THE EVERLOVING FUCK DO THESE LOOK LIKE HUMAN BODIES TO YOU.

 
 


 

 
 
The above are all examples of “artwork” by the illustrious Rob Liefeld. So what we’ve learned in Professor Liefeld’s human anatomy 101 class today kids, is that all women have 6-inch waists, 40DDD breasts at LEAST, no rib cages to speak of and all female legs must be at least 3 yards long, minimum. Men all have chests that look like vacuum-packed bulk-buy economy steak packages at BJ’s Wholesale, and protrude at least six inches out from their collarbones. All male biceps must exceed 22 inches in diameter, and necks must remain nearly as thick. Feet do not exist on anyone. Anywhere. Ever. ALSO NO ONE IS GAY EXCEPT LESBIANS BECAUSE THAT’S LIKE HOT AND STUFF.
 
 
 
If you want to read how much Rob Liefeld sucks at comic books, you can go HERE and follow the links. If you want to enjoyt the twitter bitch fest between Liefeld and Snyder just google their names.
 

12 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Rob Liefeld *sigh* I just can't even muster enough energy to give a crap about anything he does anymore. I've seen his entire catalog of faults and feel that looking at it any further is just beating a dead horse.

That being said, if his reasons for leaving are a result of editors changing the story on him last minute, than I can understand that kind of frustration.

I've heard Rob is a very nice guy and I sincerely hope that now that he's done writing and drawing for the time that he is able to find a some aspect of the entertainment industry that he is actually suited towards doing well.

Drake said...

He couldn't take the pressure of DC wanting him to learn how to draw feet!

Jordan said...

I have never, never understood his successful career, ever (going back to before the Image Comics exodus in 1994).

When he was featured in that Spike Lee TV commercial, it was like, "lucky guy," but he had some novelty appeal and I could understand him piquing Lee's interest.

But since then, my God! Comic Book art is such a meritocracy, and artists like Neal Adams, Frank Miller, Kevin O'Neill, Jim Rude, and even (in his own way) Todd McFarlane have real talent. In the case of Liefeld, I'm just mystified.

Hobgoblin238 said...

You feel the same way that I feel about Mike Allred. All his drawings look like something artsy fartsy like Andy Warhol would do. I cannot stand him.

Cory Hinman said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again; McFarlane and Lee are worse, because they knew better.

Unknown said...

Not a fan of Rob's work at all. Never have been and never will be.

Anonymous said...

Wow he still draws crappy. Never got into his stuff and never will. All these artist trying to make and can't find work and he's complaining about everything. Ron u suck!

Mike D. said...

I was waiting for the day when his crap would catch up with him. The problem was that he and his buddies wound up with editorial pull...now all the editors at all the comics companies are different people. So...there's no favoritism and no carte blanche for Rob....please...Inking while driving. Pblllt!!!!

Kal said...

All her did with his latest round of crap was cement his place at the bottom of pile. What the hell was 'Grifter' anyways? Just a guy with a bad mask and a gun.

Anonymous said...

I always thought that Liefeld had potential but this was back in the late 80's early 90's when he was drawing the New Mutants and Hilary Barta was inking his art. Great comics artist took them years to hone their skill it's just that Rob decided that he didn't need to evolve. By the way that X-force cover is a Greg Capullo cover (which shows how much he has improved from the 90's)and not a Liefeld cover. Is Rob homaging Capullo or just ripping him off?

Anonymous said...

My bad, he was doing an homage to Greg.

drobin said...

I've been a comic fan my whole life or I got serious around 9 years old and when Image comics came out when I was 12 they blew my mind.. I always thought Rob's were some of the weaker titles for sure but at least he had an original style and to me it was always a fresh breath of air to see his titles. A Blood Wolf short story he did remains one of the most stylish comic's I've ever seen. The picture of those two girls was a huge poster on the back of my door for 10 years. BUT I later learned how he was trying to rip off everybody's characters and how he fought with the other image owners a few years after he started and then his art got worse and worse as the years went... He totally let me down as a fan and I could care less anymore. Tony Daniels, Jim Lee, Turner (rip) and plenty of other Image artist went on to do bigger and better things but Rob went straight down bitching the whole way. He could have been up there with the greats but he's a lazy lying crappy artist now.. it's a shame.