Thursday, August 23, 2012

Carrie Re-Make - First Look


Entertainment Weekly has the first look at Chloë Moretz as the tormented, titular star of the Carrie remake being directed by Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry), and it is exactly what you'd hoped: a still of Carrie White covered in blood. Iconic, devastating, and shocking.


I have some issues with this remake. Sure there is no one who will play the crazed laughed half hour of a Carrie picture better than Moretz. Girl already scares me a little when I just see her all dolled up at some Red Carpet event. How do you imagine she will be while insanely angry with telepathic powers?


She just comes off as too confidant and self-assured to act the abused part of Carrie. Carrie is scared/terrified most of the time. Her anger at the end is not the result of a slow burn - it was instant and thus all the more terrifying. You could never see it coming with Sissy Spacek. With Chloe I would be waiting impatiently for all the carnage to begin.


That being said I LOVED Chloe in the remake of Let Him In. I have no doubt that the director of this Carrie remake saw her and immediately thought she was the ONLY girl for his movie. That is too bad because the original is such an iconic film. This new one can only suffer by comparison.

I just read that Julianne Moore is playing the religious psycho mother of Carrie character. I think I have to keep my mouth shut now until after I see the movie.

 

1 comment:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

The Original Carrie has been on my to-see list for a while, the remake might just be the excuse I'm looking for to push it to the top of the list. Although finding the original at the time of the remake is often an uphill climb so I'd have to get on this pronto.

I get where you're coming from because Chloe has a considerable history with scary/psycho characters so this may seem just par for the course, and yet I want to see her in the part for that very reason.

Julianne Moore as Mom. Wow. Over the years I've come to realized that any time Julianne more plays someone who is a doctor, she is completely insufferable, so it isn't too hard for me to imagine her as one of the film's heavies.