Monday, January 30, 2012

Take Shelter (2012)



As a fan of huge storms I was immediately drawn into the obsessive world of Michael Shannon's character in Take Shelter.

Here is a normal Midwestern man that lives with his deaf daughter and wife who he loves very much. Everything is normal except for his vivid dreams and hallucinations about a tornado is coming to destroy his town and his world.

How he deals with this realization and how it effects everyone around him is fascinating to watch unfold. Jessica Chastain is excellent as his befuddled wife who believes in the man if not the madness.

There are many moments of truth is this quiet movie. At times I am reminded of 'Jaccob's Ladder'.

Michael Shannon continues the mesmerizing work we saw him perform in 'Boardwalk Empire' He has strength enough to hold everyone up even as his prophetic dreams become more and more intense and terrifying.

The music in the background is less a soundtrack than a series of low frequency hums and buzzes - white noise to block out all the voices telling the main character what to do. The sound of nature also blocks substitutes oneself for actual dialogue.

I love the storm scenes and the massive power of nature. Storms are living things who act like fire...storms hate and storms kill.

This one is very hypnotic and in it's way triumphant. Take a walk in shoes of a very ordinary man to understand his reality. Then decide if he is crazy or not.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This looks right up my alley. I love movies & books about natural disasters, apocalypse, Armageddon, you name it.

I can watch Volcano over & over and while I know it's not the greatest movie, it's a double-win for me for the volcano in LA and Tommy Lee Jones. Dante's Peak is another one of my favs, and of course you know both Poseidon adventures are on my fav list too.

While the disaster part is always fun to watch, seeing how people react to it is what really fascinates me and this film looks like a treasure trove for that aspect.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Especially in 'Dantes' Peak' when old granny got out of the canoe and pushed it towards the shore while the boiling acid ate away at her skin. That was pretty sweet.

I think you would like this one.

Pat Tillett said...

I haven't seen it, or even heard of it. But, I think I want to! Thanks for tip...