Friday, June 25, 2010

True 'Dat


"Not everything Grant Morrison writes is good. I’ve seen too much circle jerking about how awesome everything that Grant Morrison touches is gold. He’s an astounding writer, but Batman RIP and Final Crisis, yeah… those are not great stories and you’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise."

When he is good there is no one better. Maybe that is why when he is bad, he is really bad. There just never is any way of knowing before you finish the story. Luckily there are several Batman titles that he doesn't write for monthly. But as a Batman completist, I still have to stomach the odd book he is attached to. 'The Return of Bruce Wayne' is a mess but that spun out of 'Final Crisis' and 'Batman RIP' that Morrison also wrote. I wished I could have missed all three.

http://samuraifrog.tumblr.com/

3 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

I think when he's stuck to a pre-ordained story structure he gets lopsided, but given his own free reign he's one of the best.

Budd said...

I would disagree that you never know when he will be bad. I knew 5 pages in that final crisis was drek. I did keep expecting it to make sense eventually, but I lost confidence in that as the story progressed. I still believe that there has to be hundreds of missing pages from that story. It is the only way it could ever make sense.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's like he writes a story in his head but only half of it ever gets on paper and we are the dumb ones for not being able to follow the tale. 'Batman RIP' was particularly annoying because it was such a cool PREMISE for a story that we hadn't seen in a long time. He makes you read thinking it will makes sense some time in the future but it never does. 'Return of Bruce Wayne' is annoying for the same reason. He was never even really a PIRATE Batman at all and that just bugs me.