Friday, January 9, 2009

The League


In my late night prowlings I read alot of blogs in between doing my own writing and watching and I have lately come across many low budget indie films with a superhero flare. This one from the Dodge College of Film and Media Arts in Chicago has a decidedly WATCHMEN like feel (high praise indeed) but I admire it more for its acting, writing and production values. The special effect alone are great for a film of its type when they are asked to replicate different superpower. Things have come a long way from the days of serials when a flying Superman had to be animated just to get the point across. It has film noir sensibilities and take little time establishing its place in a world were superheroes are no longer the sunny smiling clowns of a 1950s world. Its a shame that it only about 30 minutes long. They did alot with it being a film school production. If I had become a student film maker this would have been the exact type of project that I would have pursued. I can see them pitching this to one of the big three networks or even the CW (which produces SMALLVILLE) in the wake of the monster hit that WATCHMEN is sure to be. Check it out here - http://www.theleaguefilm.com/watch.html

No comments: